Monday, February 11, 2013

motherhood genre

{ lunch at school with friends }


When I became a mother seven years ago, I wanted to be that mother that does it all.  I now know that I will never be that mother... and I don't want to be.  I don't want to pretend that I can do it all and be it all. 

Ultimately, no amount of sewing or running or writing or facebooking or pop-tart-baking or house cleaning will magically create perfected parents.  If they did, homemade pop-tarts would be caramelizing in my oven this very second.
 
Maybe, just maybe,... the essential challenge of motherhood and life is the lesson learned when facades and faulty images are set aside.  When we take a deep breathe and embrace our individual genre.  Fully, completely, and honestly at all times, in all things, and in all places.

My motherhood genre consists of school lunch dates with my charming first grader, reading time with kids, exploring childhood interests, dinner time as a family, and lots of kisses.  Neuroscience facts and potty jokes and arm-pit-fart-bribes saturate my home.  Yoga, writing, and date nights are priorities because they make me happy.

My life is far from the facebook-projected-perfected-life and I love it.  I love my life, it liberates me to love and laugh and live in a way that is completely and honestly me.

My genre is perfect for me.... what about you and your genre? 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment