Tuesday, February 12, 2013

the i-love-you walkie talkie hand

Caleb is my completely affectionate I-want-everyone-to-know-that-I-love-you boy.
His greatest fear is that I will forget that he loves me.

He really really worries about it... and sometimes it is hard for him to fall asleep at night because of his insecurity.  Despite the millions of times he has whispered my three favorite words, he still gets up in the middle of the night to remind me.

I love it.
But this boy really needs to get some sleep.

One night Caleb was really tired and really worried that I would forget his love.  Despite my hugs and kisses and words of reassurance, he was still scared.  So - I did what any mom would do.  I shared with Caleb the legend of the mommy-child walkie talkie connection.  

The legend tells of mommy who really wanted to tell her son at school that she loved him.  Because the little boy was not at home, the mommy decided to use the secret mommy-child walkie talkie.  Placing the palm of her hand against her mouth, she whispered words of love.  Sealed with a kiss, the secret message traveled the world on waves of mommy-son-super-hero-connections and sat waiting for the little boy on the palm of his hand.  When the boy placed the palm of his hand on his ear, mommy words of adoration entered his ear with a loving warmth... like a hug.  Although the two of them were far apart, their secret walkie talkies allowed them to remind one another of their love.

The story ended with Caleb's palm being pressed against my lips for words of love and a kiss.  And my palms being pressed against his.  We have since discovered that our invisible-super-hero-walkie-talkies are even more super when we whisper I love you in one anothers hand.

Caleb no longer gets out of bed a million times each night.
And I receive a lot of palm kisses and secret walkie talkie messages when he is away at preschool.

The I-love-you walkie talkie hand is by far the best invention yet.
I am truly humbled by how deeply this child loves me.

Motherhood is a daily creative challenge... and I love it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment