Thursday, February 14, 2013

thanks be to grandma gwen... i am having a baby girl!!


Liver cancer was taking her.
It was evident.


Grandma Gwen had fought the fight bravely and now it was her time to rest.  Lying in her hospice bed in the middle of her room she held on tight.  In and out of consciousness, loving hands were there to comfort and hold when she was awake.

During one of her "awake" periods, I pulled a chair next to her bed, with a gigantic favor in mind.



"Grandma,"  I said, "I need your help."

"Okay," grandma replied hesitantly, her eyes half open searching the room for my face.

"Grandma, I am exhausted by my three delicious boys.  The energy, the noise, the farts.  I desperately want another baby... but I am scared.  Four boys might be too much for me."

Looking at the ceiling, she forged a smile.

"I need you grandma, when you get to heaven, to find a cute little baby girl for me.  A baby girl that will listen to my every request, obey, and be a perfect angel.... do you think you could do that for me?"

Grandma turned her head to look at me.  I clearly had her undivided attention.

"Well, hell, Angie... how I am supposed to do that?"  Grandma half-whispered in response.


Clearly, not the response I was looking for.


"So... does that mean you won't find me a baby girl?"  I asked hesitantly, "because grandma, I need you.  I really need your help!" 

With a large smile on her face, grandma's eyes closed while streams of unconsciousness surrounded her once again.


One year later... I am pregnant.
With a girl.
Thank you Grandma Gwen...  I think.

Grandma Gwen is a party animal, a prankster.  She might have found me a girl, but she would never ever send me one that would obey my every command.  No.  Grandma Gwen would take her time to find a wild little girl for me.  One that would provide more of a challenge than the three boys combined.  Bring it on!

So thanks be to Grandma Gwen because the all boy house is about to become slightly more rowdy with the addition of a little girl and a whole lot of pink.

No comments:

Post a Comment