Sunday, November 27, 2011

Being A Mom

For a long time I thought that self discovery was found in some form of amazing rock-the-world talent.


I spent a lot of time wondering if I was a seamstress, a writer, a photographer, etc.


I spent a lot of time (out of fear) wondering what it was that I could do to better the world, provide an income, and still be a focused mom.


And I spent a lot of time comparing myself to others and the amazing things they were able to accomplish on a daily basis.



Moving into a new home, meeting new neighbors, and establishing a new schedule has granted me many opportunities to introduce myself to new exciting people. And along with these fun introductions, numerous individuals have questioned me as to what I enjoy doing in my free time.


And at first I did not know what to say.

What do I like to do?


With three little boys, I like to shower and take a nap.
That is about all I have time for right now.



And I did not like the way that made me feel to be undefined. It felt so unfulfilled, unaccomplished, and worthless.



A couple days ago, I met this cute elderly lady named Hazel.
When I asked Hazel what it is that she liked to do she replied with a "I love to do whatever it is that I am doing in the moment."

When I asked Hazel about her favorite movies, places to live, or foods to eat she replied with similar answers. She loves whatever she is doing in the moment.

She has learned to enjoy the moment.


So as I sit here and contemplate on the words of Hazel, I am filled with contentment, self-fulfillment, and joy. Because truth be known, I love being a mother. I love cleaning house, folding laundry, and creating a home that is conducive to the love of God. I love holding little hands, putting together puzzles, and singing silly songs.

I love being a mother.

And just being a mother is more than enough for me. I am so grateful to God and His love towards me. I am grateful for the little feet, the kisses, and the smiles of my children that sing a melody of His matchless love, grace, and mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment