Monday, September 9, 2013

cannibalism

I am dozing on the couch while nursing Carlee when I feel something moving close to my face.  Opening my eyes, Caleb's bright green irises are there to greet me.  Despite my constant lectures to keep things away from my face, Caleb is still under the impression that the best way to gain my attention is to position his hands or face within inches from my eyes.  


"What's up?"  I asked while swallowing my annoyance.  I love my kids and I love talking to them, but I also love sleep.

"Did you know that last night I was a real life monster?"  He sat back upon his heels, victory radiating from his eyes.

"Really?  A real life monster?"

"Yes!"

"How were you a real life monster?"

"Well, I woke up in the middle of the night and I wanted to eat Colton."

"What!?!"  I asked with a grin.  I love his stories.

"Yep!  I woke up in the middle of the night sooo hungry and I didn't want to walk to the kitchen so I almost ate Colton."

"Seriously?"

"Yep.  I am a real life monster."  He said, his heels tucked under his knees with a bounce. 

"Yikes.  Just don't eat me... okay?"

"Okay, mom."  He said with his classic-Caleb-smile.

"Or dad."

"Okay, I won't eat dad."

"Pheeeew."  I said,  "I am so glad we had this conversation.  Now go eat your brother so I can sleep."  My head leaned back against the couch to rest once again, too tired to care that my child just admitting to cannibalism.  Some arguments are not worth the energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment