Monday, September 9, 2013

help me obi-wan!

"Mom, was Yoda adopted?"  Conner asked while sitting at the kitchen table.

"No, I don't think so... why?"  My hands quickly flipped another round of Quesidillas while Carlee screamed from her chair.

"Well, its just that we never see Yoda's mom in any of the movies."  Noting the concern in his face, I walked away from the quesadillas to look him in the eye.  If this is important to his seven year-old mind, I can try take it seriously too.

"And that means he is adopted.... because?"

"If we don't see her, then she isn't real."

"Well, you don't see me when you are at school but that doesn't mean I am not real."

"Well... I want to see her."

"Well, she wasn't in the movie so we can't."

"If she put Yoda up for adoption do you think another family like ours would adopt him?"

"Sure, I guess so."

"Well, then who is his adopted mother?  Does he have any brothers and sister?"  His head rested in his hands, worry crinkled in his eyes.

"Sure, I imagine he would."

"But who are they?"

"I don't know bud - I am sorry."

"But I just want to know."  His fists pounded against the table in frustration.

"I am sorry dude.  You are just going to have to read all the Star Wars books to find out."

"But I want to know right now."

"I know you do, dude."  My fingers ruffled his hair as I returned to the art of quesadilla filling and flipping.

"Maybe dad knows.  He knows everything about Star Wars."


Twenty minutes later, Nate walked in the door to a house full of Star Wars uncertainty.  Before he could remove his shoes and take a breath, star wars questions began attacking him from all angles.  Sitting back in my chair to nurse a very upset baby, super dad did his best to "calm the waters."  The storm - for the mean time - has passed.  But it is only a matter of time before the flood waters begin to descend once again.

"Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, your my only hope!"

No comments:

Post a Comment