Tuesday, May 21, 2013

when a pinterest project turns bad...

The glory days of the crib are long and gone.  Caleb took his teeth to it, Conner liked to climb, and Colton killed the poor thing.  The drawers collapsed, the flexible bar is stuck, and the changing table shelves refuse to support the weight of a paperclip.

Lazy me wanted to buy a new crib while the pinterest me wanted to save the crib.  A little wood glue, hardware repair, and a whole lot of spray paint would solve the problem.  How hard could it be??

The grand day of the crib paint came.  The weather was nice, the boys were excited, and the spray paint was ready.  Securing the paint paper to the side of the fence, we lined up the crib and began painting away.

Canyon breezes started tip toeing down the road, around our house, and into the back yard.  The baby bear breeze transformed into a papa bear breeze catapulting our recently painted crib pieces across the yard with paint paper violently crashing against the bars of the crib.

Thrashed from the boys and now the wind... the crib... oh dear... the crib.  I borrowed an electric sander and began sanding away the horrid layers of paint.  Hour upon hour.  Sand paper after sand paper.  The crib became a very sad, sad story.

I told myself I could fix it.
I could.
Really, I could.

With swollen ankles and tears streaming down my face, I called my mom.  No little girl deserves to spend her nights in such an ugly crib.  What had I started?  What should I do??

"Ditch the sander and meet me at Ikea."  My mom's voice sailed through the invisible telephone lines and dried the tears from my eyes.  Thirty-five minutes later in the middle of the children's section stood a masterpiece.  A beautiful crib free from paint scratches, bite marks, and dried grass chunks.  Yes, everything was going to be okay.

I vowed to put the beaten up crib on craigslist.  Free for the DIY-er while promising myself to never ever attempt a DIY project again.  This time, I had learned my lesson.  Searching the internet for a picture of the crib in it's glory days, I came across a product recall.

Further investigation taught me that the crib had been recalled and that various stores were still offering a full refund.  Seriously?  The stores wanted to give me a full refund for something my children had pooped on, attempted to eat, and jumped on like a jungle gym?  Sometimes life is good.

We shoved the billion pieces of the crib into the minivan.  Twenty minutes later, a full refund was issued for the sad crib and happiness sprinkled down like a spring shower.  The pinterest paint-your-crib-inspired misery had a very happy ending.  Maybe... just maybe... DIY projects aren't so bad after all.



Speaking of Pinterest, there are three posts you really ought to read:

No comments:

Post a Comment