Thursday, January 26, 2012

Soccer on the Roof

The boys played soccer on the roof as I stood side by side with my grandma - watching.

Photobucket

Photobucket


When the game was done, we visited the basement and listened to grandma play the piano. She was always an amazing pianist. She sang "Popcorn Popping" and "I am a Child of God."

That day before we left, I hugged my grandparents goodbye.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



My grandpa died three weeks ago.
And my grandma has only hours left.


Monday morning, I raced to my grandma's apartment. Sunday had not been a good day for her and as a result she had taken a severe turn for the worst. Hospice doctors came and informed us that we had hours... maybe days until her death.

I spent the day dabbing her forehead with a cold towel, holding her hand, rubbing her feet, and laughing with her. She made a list of movies to watch, told me to keep up my music, and reminded me to have fun in life.

Life was designed to be fun. There are jokes to tell, cakes to toss out windows, bathtubs to fill with candy, and adventures to have. Sometimes I forget these things... and grandma has always been there to remind me that while life may not always be easy - it can always be fun.

I have the tendency to pack anxiety, worries, and fears... and leave the fun at home.
This year, I am tossing my obsessive hurtful thoughts and replacing them with joy, optimism, and love.

Thank you Grandma - for all the lessons you have taught me.
I am grateful for you, your life, and your love.
I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment