Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Soy Milk Soccer Mom

Winnie the Pooh and the Blackberry Surprise is one of our favorite books.

In this book, Pooh and Piglet are wandering through the forest when Piglet notices that Pooh is still wearing his sleeping cap. Startled by that fact that he forgot to remove it, Pooh calmly takes the cap off his head and decides to carry it in his hand. When they happen to notice a large blackberry bush covered with delicious blackberries, Piglet and Pooh are delighted. They quickly decide to pick as many blackberries as possible but are confused as to how they should carry them. Suddenly, Pooh realizes that his nightcap is perfect for carrying blackberries. They gather blackberries and as a result, everyone is able to enjoy blackberry pie.


Caleb always has to leave the house with a toy or object in hand. Yesterday things were very chaotic as I quickly packed the kiddos into the minivan for soccer practice. So crazy that I failed to notice that Caleb had removed a carton of soy milk from the refrigerator and carried it to the car with him.

As I unload the kids from the car, I realize what it is that Caleb has in his hands. I quickly try to remove the blue carton from his hands and he starts to cry. Like any mom in true survival mode, I cave in and let him carry the carton to the field with the argument that it will be a lot easier to keep him on the sidelines if he has his carton of milk.

Photobucket

Conner starts stretching out on the field and Caleb is following him. Carton in hand. The practice starts, and Caleb will not put the carton down. Examining the blankets and bag that I somehow managed to carry to the field with one arm, I quickly realize that Conner's water bottle was left in the car. Unwilling to leave him on the field (we parked too far away from the field) and unwilling to remove Conner from the practice to walk to the car, I panic.

Photobucket

Suddenly, I see Caleb with his carton of milk.
The coach blows the whistle for a water break and Caleb instantly hands Conner his carton of milk. They both drink from the carton, and I am instantly the soy milk soccer mom.

Photobucket

Soy milk may not taste as fabulous as blackberry pie, but I am soo happy that Caleb thought to bring his carton of milk. It was the perfect "nightcap" to solve our problem. I just might let him carry a carton around with him more often.

Photobucket

Funny soccer moments:

  • Before the practice, Conner starts stretching his back out. When I asked him what he was doing, he told me he was "adjusting" his back so he could play better. He is totally a chiropractor's son.
  • During the practice, Conner ran over to the side lines multiple times to reassure me that he still had two shin guards on. Man he loves those things.
  • He is very precise. When dribbbling the ball around the orange cones, he had to take his time and do it perfectly. So cute.
  • He was very confused on why he could pick the ball up at certain times and not during others. We are going to have to work on that.
  • He wants Dad, Caleb, and Colton to paint their tummies like this for his first soccer game in two weeks.
  • He will not stop talking about soccer. Love it.

1 comment:

  1. It now begins! I am so excited for all of you. Love this story!

    ReplyDelete