Tuesday, January 29, 2013

agency and pride

There are moments as a mother - when you feel nothing but absolute pride for your child.
These moments come often, and I wish I could freeze them and carry them around with me in my pocket.

Because - holy moly - I love my kids.
And I am beyond proud of their personalities, characteristics, and desires.

Conner gave a talk in church on Sunday.
A two-minute-talk about agency or the ability to choose between good and bad.

And for the first time, he didn't want help.
Dad and I were firmly instructed to stay seated on the back row of the primary room.

Conner did fabulous standing up there all on his own.
He read every word correctly and clearly.

It took everything I had to keep me from picking that child up and kissing him all over the face when he was done.
The best part?  I could tell that he was proud of himself too.

I wasn't able to freeze the moment, but I have the transcript to his talk and his Lego prop.
And I am holding onto the items, tucking the memory in my pocket, and expressing gratitude for the little man my boy is becoming.
  


Agency
by Conner
"This is one of my favorite Lego ships. When I opened the box for the first time with my dad, there were lots of little pieces that needed to be put together to make the ship. I guess I could have made the choice to try to build the ship without any instructions, but I think the ship wouldn’t have turned out right. My dad is smart and he taught me how to read the instructions.

Just like the Lego instructions, Heavenly Father has given us instructions to create a happy life. His instructions are found in the scriptures and voice of the prophet. We have agency or the choice to choose whether or not we will listen and obey. But I think it would be hard to know how to build a happy life without instructions or a plan… just like the Lego ship.

Heavenly Father is wise and He loves us very much. I want to follow the instructions he has given me. I am grateful that Heavenly Father has blessed me with instructions to follow so I can build a happy life. I am grateful for my agency and the ability I have to choose the right."

No comments:

Post a Comment