Friday, March 30, 2012

the art of saying no

Chatting with a girlfriend at the park today, I noticed a ridiculously cute crocheted bracelet on her wrist. I like crocheted things, and I very much fell in love with her bracelet. The conversation drifted toward pregnancy and the various childhood stages while my brain fixated upon the crocheted bracelet. Mentally, I unpacked the box holding the cute purple yarn in my basement and the crochet needles. I thought about youtube and pinterest and free online tutorials. And I even planned to sacrifice my quiet writing/reading time for chains of yarn.

With various crochet stitches circulating my head, two boys finally fell asleep. The long awaited crochet moment had finally come.

And you know what?
I did not want it.
I did not want to spend my limited quiet moments with my fingers tangled in yarn.


Dallin H. Oaks once taught that in life "we have to forego some good things in order to choose others that are better or best because they develop faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and strengthen our families."

There are a lot of good things in life that I love. Sometimes they come in the form of cute crocheted bracelets, homemade sprinkles, and freshly painted walls. When I focus primarily on the good things, my eyes become blinded to the best things that life has to offer. Things like kindergarten self portraits,






<span class=

kisses from yogurt covered faces,

<span class=

shaving cream truck parties,

<span class=

chair made trains (by CJ) to ride,

<span class=

imaginative puppet shows to watch,

<span class=

and moments to study the scriptures and pray - individually and together as a family.



I am learning that I appreciate the best things in life more when I voluntarily limit the commitments I make and the projects I pursue.

Maintaining a house of order, raising respectful boys in an imaginative environment, and nourishing those around me is a very demanding full-time job. Life as a mother is an eternal marathon... and the act of treading water, upholding unrealistic expectations, and putting on a facade is exhausting - mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. Sacrificing my basic needs (sleep, healthy food, water consumption, and quiet time to study and pray) in pursuit of the good things is not the best way to live. Saying no - to the good things of life - is an art. An art that allows us to enjoy life more fully and embrace the best within us.

One day I hope to have my fingers tangled in yarn with homemade sprinkles and freshly painted accent walls... but today, I am learning to say no to the things that prevent me from enjoying the best things life has to offer.


'


Talk to me.
Do you find it hard to say no to the good things in life?

No comments:

Post a Comment