Monday, February 20, 2012

Secret Treasures

<span class=


Conner and Caleb have a secret "Lego shelf" in their closet. A secret shelf that holds little boy treasures of Lego's, soccer trophies, whoopee cushions, and favorite cars. Doors close and hide their special things from the world.


Secrets.
Some are painful... and others are not.
Either way, we hold the good and the bad in our heart and we shut the doors to hide them from the world


Nelson Mandela once said that when we let our light shine, we unconsciously allow others to do the same. Expressing and sharing our secrets, although hard, can strengthen ourselves and those around us.


Six months ago, a friend shared her light with me when she opened her heart and expressed the secrets she had been holding. And as I sat upon my kitchen floor and listened, her light unlocked the door to my heart. A door that has held many secrets captive for a very long time. Secrets that involve intense anxiety, feelings of ultimate inadequacy, and obsessive desires to change who I am. Her words inspired me to embrace my vulnerability and seek help. I found the courage to be completely honest with my Savior and family. I found the courage to change my lifestyle, goals, and habits. I found the courage to begin the fight against the obsessive hurtful thoughts that fill my head. I am grateful for the light that was shared with me.


The Lego's sitting upon their shelf are not being played with. Regular discussions occur about the value of the Lego's and the joy they hold. Trapped toys do not provide many smiles. Despite the constant reminder that toys want to be played with and not locked in a closet, the toys still remain in the closet.


Secrets, when shared in the proper lights have the ability to transform into something beautiful. And maybe, secret sharing is more than exposing painful thoughts, anxiety, or hurtful life events. Secrets, I suppose, are simple moments when the life-is-perfect facade falls and we are completely honest about life and what it means to us.


I am learning that the facade is exhausting... and I no longer have the energy for it. Daily, I am striving to shed my no-longer-secret facade and embrace the fullness of life without it.

Will you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment