Thursday, February 2, 2012

what are you trying to catch?

One late September afternoon, I took the boys fishing with my dad.
Photobucket

Despite our best efforts, we did not catch any fish.

Photobucket


We did not catch any fish... but we caught a whole lot of fun. We splashed in puddles, played with leaves, tangled grandpa's fishing line, climbed big rocks, kicked rocks, and laughed a lot along the way.


Photobucket

Sometimes I forget to have fun along the way.
I forget to stop and enjoy the pleasure of dipping my feet in the water.

Photobucket

And I become too distracted to enjoy the smiles that come along the way.

Photobucket


Six months ago, our life changed tremendously when my husband decided to go back to school for a PhD. We closed a business, sold a house, and moved away from our friends-that-were-family. My husband now works and attends school full-time, while I stay home with our three boys... and I am so grateful for his hardworking attitude that allows me to stay-at-home.

At times, I confuse what it is that I am trying to catch. I believe the full-time job with benefits, the big pay check, and the steady income is the secret to enjoying life fully.

I consider going back to work.
I beat myself up for not obtaining more than a bachelor degree in psychology...
and I start to lose the joy to the heavy burden of fear and insecurity.


CJ taps my head and says the word "duck"
Caleb says "mom you pretty"
Conner tells me that his favorite part of the day was playing Angry Birds with me


And instantly I am transformed. Reminded that true joy in life is not found in paychecks, money, and gold. Reminded that the true reason for living is to love and be loved.

Life.
This amazing life.
Has so much to offer.
And so many blessings to catch...
if only we are holding up the right net.


"When we seek happiness through accumulation, either outside of ourselves - from other people, relationships, or material goods - or from our own self-development, we are missing the essential point. Completion comes not from adding another piece to ourselves but from surrendering our ideas of perfection."

Mark Epstein, M.D. from The Buddha






No comments:

Post a Comment