Monday, October 4, 2010

The Mom in the Mirror

I am a people watcher. I love to watch moms and their interactions with their children. All too often, I find a mother who completely inspires me to be better. I take note of how she talks to her children, her discipline techniques, and how obedient her children are.

I come home with a new resolve to be just like that mother. I desperately try to follow her example, keep a clean house, and keep my fly lady binder up to date.

I keep it up for a couple days and then everything falls apart. I inevitably fail. Laundry piles, dishes, and one too many episodes of Mickey Mouse start to overwhelm my life. At times I crash and alienate myself from family and friends - ashamed of my inability to be more than who I am.

I fail because I approach motherhood and life in a style that is not my own. I fail because I put more trust in books, friends, and media and less in my own intuition. I fail because I put too much pressure and stress upon my plate.

I will always fail when I try to be someone I am not.

Learning to live a confident and authentic life is the only recipe for success and happiness.

I am going to spend a little more time in front of the mirror admiring the mother I am - and a lot less time feeling guilty for the things I am not.

I think you should too...

No comments:

Post a Comment