Friday, July 27, 2012

permission to spit


Driving home from my mom's house one afternoon, the noises began to fade and I realized that the boys were beginning to fall asleep.

Which wouldn't be a problem... if I was not completely exhausted.
Car naps do not equate to naps at home.
And I needed a nap.

I began calling their names.
Singing silly songs.
Blasting the music.

Nothing.
I repeat - nothing.
Nothing was going to keep the kids awake.

Desperate, my mind began calculating an offer they could not refuse.
The boys love to spit.
And so I gave them an offer they could not resist.

"Boys," I said, "You know I always tell you it is wrong to spit.  You know spitting is bad, but I know that you love it very much.  You have my permission to spit the whole way home if you promise to stay awake."

Eyes shot open.
Lips and tongues started to express saliva.

The boys spit for an entire thirty minutes - a new record.
And when the van rolled into the garage, the spitting ended and I was rewarded with a long afternoon nap in my bed.

Spitting - the perfect solution to those unwanted car naps.
Who would of thought?

No comments:

Post a Comment