Sunday, April 28, 2013

Raspberry Toast with Cinnamon



"I would like toast with butter, jam, and cinnamon."  Conner said, his morning hair molded to the side of his head.

"Toast with butter and jam and cinnamon?"  I asked.

"Yeah.  I love cinnamon with jam."

The toaster oven dinged and I begin the process of buttering and jamming toast for everyone.  With the cinnamon shaker in hand, I looked to Conner.  "Are you sure?"

"Yes.  I am sure."  He said, his voice very annoyed.

"Okay."  I sprinkled the cinnamon on the raspberry jam.

"More cinnamon mom,"  he asked after the light dusting across his toast.

Tipped upside down, cinnamon fell from the shaker.

"Perfect!"

The toast disappears in less than ten seconds, cinnamon and jam stamped across the sides of his face.  "Can I have some more please?"  Conner asked.

"Sure."

I dumped large quantities of cinnamon onto his jammed-up-toast.  Conner smiled.  "Thanks mom, this is the best breakfast ever."  He jumped down from the counter to find his shoes for school.


Among the hustle and bustle of the day, I forget that my kids are growing up.  Their small hands are growing inch by inch along with their opinions and goals.  I can learn to honor them... even if that means dipping apples in ketchup and sprinkling cinnamon on raspberry toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment