Saturday, September 25, 2010

Supermom Redefined


Somewhere along my journey in motherhood, I got the idea that being supermom entailed keeping a perfect house, limiting television time for my kids, and a "Disney Land" lifestyle.

I was wrong.

Today I realized that what my kids need most is food, water, love, and time to just be. I have often wondered why my boys don't appreciate the glorious outings I plan, the play dates, and the want-to-be-gourmet-meals that I try to cook.

All of these activities have been for me - not for them.

My boys just want to be. They crave simplicity. While outings are fun, they need time to explore their little world, learn their limits, and be loved.

Motherhood is not as complicated as I have made it. Motherhood is about forgetting the daily schedule (except for the much needed nap time) and flying into a world of imagination and love. A world in which the power of a kiss eases intense pain and a hug solves any problem. Experiencing your childhood all over again is the magnificent gift of motherhood.

My kids don't want a supermom that sews, has a gazillion friends, keeps an immaculate house, and prepare gourmet meals. My kids want a supermom who plays with them, serves grape nuts for dinner each night, and loves them every second of the day.

Minus the grape nuts for dinner each night - I want to be their version of supermom.

No comments:

Post a Comment