Wednesday, March 5, 2014

gratitude ice cream

It isn't a secret that Nate has been trying to complete his PhD in record time.
What takes some people 4-6 years to complete, he is determined to finish in three.

He is a stud.

When a chance to interview for a full-time position at the local university appeared, we snatched it.  Gratitude pumped in our veins during the two day interview process, date-night-dinner/interviews, and even a trip to meet with a high ranking leader of our church.

We fasted and prayed and fasted and prayed some more.

The job description (in our opinion) fit Nate perfectly.  It allowed him to utilize his chiropractic doctorate in addition to his almost completed PhD in neuroscience.

Mentally, I started planning a celebration party that included our neighbors and way too much ice cream.
Maybe even fireworks and pot-n-pan banging.

After a two-month-intensive-wait-period we learned that Nate was not selected as their final candidate.

At first, I was kinda mad and sad and feeling very bad.
(Can you tell that we are celebrating Dr. Suess this week?)

And then...
I felt relieved.
And grateful.
And happy.

I am beyond grateful for my Heavenly Father and the love He has for me.  I am grateful for His willingness to tell me "no, that isn't right for you" despite my blinded belief that I know what is best.

Because even though we love where we are at, we have questioned if "right here" is best for us long term.


I pulled the vanilla ice cream from the fridge with the candles, chocolate chips, and peanut butter.  Quietly, we enjoyed the opportunity to celebrate the gratitude we have for God.  I don't know where our life is headed and what God has in store for us, but I am super grateful that the answers rest in His all-knowing, all-powerful, and all-loving hands.




Because even when life is rough, there is always something to be grateful for.  Like Darth Vadar, Lego's, left butt cheeks, toilets, and friends - according to the boys - and there is always love to be shared.

Thomas S. Monson said it best when he said, "to ever live with gratitude in our hearts is to touch heaven."


*  *  *  *  *


And as a side note, Colton has developed a little "crush" on our neighbors.  His favorite "game" to play is letter drawing, bouncy ball wrapping, and gift delivering to the ladies that live on our block.




After an unexpected kiss from our next door neighbor, Colton has taken to door bell ditching.  
A skill in which he has quickly mastered.    

There should really be a bumper sticker that says the following:

My child doorbell ditches faster than your child.

I'd buy it.




No comments:

Post a Comment