Tuesday, March 26, 2013

building dreams


"Mom!  You got to see what I drew at school today,"  my six-year-old says, dropping his first grade back pack to the ground with shoes flying in every direction.

"Awesome.  I'm excited."  I say.  Reaching into his backpack, he hands me a completed math assignment with drawings on the back.

"It's my dream house!  Look, it has everything we need.  An attic, bedrooms, stairs, and the best part is the fun room.  Doesn't that look like fun?  The bathroom is here and our garage is huge.  Big enough to fit all of our bikes.  The stairs are kind of crazy, but that is what makes the house fun... right?  What do you think?  Should we build a house like this?  Should we?"  Cheeks are pink in anticipation as he bounces from foot to foot.

"I love it,"  I say with my  lips pressed against his cheek in a welcome home kiss.  "and yes, we should definitely build it."

Because why not?
Even six-year-old boys need space and time to build their dreams.

At times I am jealous of his dreams.  They are so simple, honest, and genuine.  Free from building codes, design magazines, and pinterest boards - he created the home he wants.

Over the last couple of months, I have been searching through many writing technique books.  Amid the fabulous advice, sometimes I begin to forget my dream.  Stairs shouldn't be crooked and writing should be perfected.  I begin to question my skills, talent, and dreams based upon the advice of the world.  Maybe a dream (like mine) is unsafe or unreasonable.

We begin building his house of dreams with Lego's.  One red brick here and yellow one there.  Brick by brick the house grows and eventually, the house will be completed.  Perhaps my writing dreams are the same?  Day by day, word by word, and sometimes breathe by breathe.  The house of words will grow, and my writing technique with it, but only if I dare to chase the dream.

As artists and mothers and people of the world, if we don't have the courage to dream big... who will?  

2 comments:

  1. I am taking a break from an essay I'm trying to write for a contest. Just putting the header of "contest" over it leaves me stymied and frustrated and like my writing is horrible. So yes, I feel your frustration. But I'm going to keep typing that awful first draft because maybe when I'm done there will be enough nuggets of good stuff to keep working with for a second or third draft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep at it Julie! I am excited for you! Good luck :)

      Delete