Thursday, April 16, 2009

Five More Minutes Mom!

My friend recently introduced me to the book Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood.

After hearing about all of the amazing techniques and suggestions offered by this book, I knew I needed to read this book... and quickly!

I just finished reading this book two days again, and I am so excited about all of the fun techniques and results we are already experiencing! Plus, I get to start using the word "bummer" again... how cool is that? :)

One of the suggestions is to allow your toddler to have control that you don't need. Instead of approaching your toddler and saying "its time to go now" allow them to make a choice. Five minutes prior to the time you need to leave, ask your toddler if they would like to go home now or in five minutes. Conner loves this option, and has stopped throwing those "I don't want to leave" fits when I offer this choice... it is great!

Last week, we had just arrived to the grocery store when I was about to pull Conner out of his car seat. Caleb was waiting in the grocery cart, diaper bags were out of the car, doors were locked, etc. As I was about to reach in and unbuckle Conner, he looked at me and said "Not yet Mom.... five more minutes".

Luckily it was warm outside... Caleb and I had no problem waiting "five minutes" which was actually thirty seconds. While waiting, I could not contain my laughter... Conner is usually super anxious to get out of the car!

I have loved watching the various changes that are starting to occur in our family atmosphere due to this wonderful book. If you read any parenting book... pick this one!

2 comments:

  1. Ooo thanks for the tip. I'll get me ahold of this one! Goodness knows I already have a willful toddler and he's not even 2 yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the book suggestion!! I am going to get it and read it soon. Maybe I will be ahead of the game when my little guy gets to that point :)

    ReplyDelete